In the late 1700s, colonial authorities carried out a program of public works, which was aimed at giving the city the dignity it deserved as the capital of the Island.
The Havana of 1772 boasted the first public parade for walkers and carriages. The typical boulevard, which went no far than two rows of trees, built as the first avenue parallel to the walls, received the denomination of Alameda de Extramuros (Extramural Mall). Its inspiring antecedent was on the Madrid`s Paseo del Prado, gaining quickly the Havana inhabitants` preference, who went there to enjoy the air breezes of the twilight.
Along half century, the new place incorporated ornamental works reinforcing its beauty, as neoclassic fountains, including the so-called India or Noble Havana Fountain, sculpted in Genoa by Jose Gaggini.
Sunsets had, since then, the cult invitation to walk under the grove, its fountains and sculptures. New times brought the electricity for its bronze lamps; the asphalt surrounding the marble floors and the lions kept this notable symbol of Havana safe forever.