Cathedral of Havana . It was built originally by the Jesuit in the period from 1749 to 1767. The works of the temple, that Jesus' Company rose for them in the square of the marsh, continued after the expulsion of the Jesuit in 1767 and the confiscation of its goods, and in 1773 it was transferred to this temple the Parochial Mayor.
In 1789 the temple, of Baroque facade, was designated Cathedral. Few years before, the Island had been divided in two dioceses: that of Santiago de Cuba and that of Havana.
The bishop Juan J. Diaz de Espada modified the interiors to the neoclassical style, then symbol of the progress. It also hired the Italian José Perovani to paint their frescos, later restored by Juan Bautista Vermay.
In the Church Metropolitan Cathedral of Havana rested the supposed remains of Cristobal Colon brought of Santo Domingo in 1796, up to 1898, when they were transferred to Spain.
San Cristobal’s main image, pattern of the city and protective of the travellers, it’s in the cathedral. It’s a piece of work in wood, work of the sevillano Martin de Andujar, and it dates of 1632.
With reason of the visit of Su Sanctity Juan Pablo II the temple was remodelled to return to the aspect previous to the reformations carried out in 1950.