Matachin Fort. In the period between 1739 and 1742, four fortifications were built in Baracoa: Majana, Fuerte Matachin, Castillo de Seboruco or of Santa Barbara and La Punta.
Fort Matachin was the second one to be built. Its role was that of protecting the beach and the cove of Miel, aside of the inland entry to the city. This bulwark against pirates was transformed during the 19th century into a garrison for the Spanish soldiers, though it suffered some modifications.
In the period from 1860 to 1898, some four-sided tile-roofed rooms, surrounded by high replaced the garrison and ammunitions department -remnants of this solid battery are still seen- barred windows and loopholes. A powder magazine, a well and a cistern were built. During the pseudo-Republic era, the fort was named Castillo Maldito (Cursed Castle) since it was used as a shelter for the homeless, that went there trying to avoid cold and rain.