Santa Clara de Asis Monastery . One of the oldest and best of the Spanish colonial monasteries on the island, this building is now home to the National Centre for Restoration, Conservation and Museum Studies.
Founded in 1644 it has, despite its peaceful history, given rise to many tales and legends of unrequited love and hidden treasure. No evidence has ever been uncovered to back up these stories. In 1919 it was sold to the Cuban government. As well as operating as a museum, there is a gallery showing contemporary Cuban art.