The Orden del Santísimo Salvador de Santa Brígida Convent
The property was reconditioned in 2003 to shelter a religious order. It has three parcels communicated to each other, with facades for the Oficios y Teniente Rey streets. It’s composed of convent for the nuns, guests' house and parking.
Inaugurated and blessed by the Mother Tekla Famiglietti, who was chosen in 1979 General Abbess of the Orden del Santísimo Salvador de Santa Brígida.
The Orden del Santísimo Salvador de Santa Brígida, emerges in Sweden in the XIV century. A Swedish Christian mystic, baptized as Birgitta Persson (Sainted as Santa Brígida from Sweden in 1391) she obtained in 1370, after twenty years of requesting it, the papal approval, to be founded a new very strict order that it would help to reform the monastic life.
The Orden del Santísimo Salvador, now also of Santa Brígida, in homage to their founder, it resurged in September of 1911 and it was approved definitively by the Holy see in July 7, 1940.
The rebirth, stability and prosperity of the Order, are related with María Elisabetta Hesselblad (1870-1957) who adapted their old charisma at the new times. In our days the denominated “brigidinas " possesses communities in fifteen nations: Denmark, Estonia, Philippine, Finland, Germany, England, Italy, Norway, Palestine, Poland, Sweden, Switzerland, United States, India, Mexico and now in Cuba.